Monday, February 8, 2010

What a Weekend!

Wow!!! It has been a crazy fun weekend! On Saturday we went on an excursion to Avignon and Fontaine de Vaucluse, two beautiful little towns. Avingnon is where the Palais de Papes is, and the famous Avignon bridge. I went with Clare and Kerri, and it was a really fun time. We walked around, saw a beautiful little park, and really enjoyed the area. From there we headed up to Fontaine de Vaucluse which is a small town with a population of 610 that has a huge river running through it. The river is the source of Le Sorgue, which is a river that runs through Provence. We hiked up to the top and it was absolutely beautiful! When we got back on Saturday we met up with Pam and the rest of the AbroadCo kids for hot cocoa and mulled wine, and then we all had another pizza and mafia-playing night, which was really fun. After that we went out with one of Clare's new French friends, Laura, and she took us to some of the popular clubs in the area. It was really fun, but when everyone else was heading to the next place at 2AM, I decided I was ready for bed!

We got to sleep in late on Sunday, which was nice! We spent the morning relaxing, and I started planning for when Eric, Sarah, and Mom each come for a week! I can't wait! At 4:30 we met everyone at the bus station, and took the bus down to Marseille to go to the OM football match. We walked around Marseille for a bit during sunset, which was absolutely beautiful, and then started the 45 minute walk to the stadium. Our seats were up in the nose bleeds, but no one was really checking so we got to get right down in the front, which was very cool. I've never been at a sporting event in my life with such excited fans!!! At each end, behind the goals (which isn't where we were) the fans never sat down and never stopped cheering. There were people with microphones leading the cheers!! After the first goal was scored, Someone let of a flare, and then about 15 people let off flares, and then there was a sound that sounded like a cannon, and tons of blue smoke! It was insane!!! The smoke was so heavy that we couldn't see the other team's goalie on the field, but they kept playing. It was very cool, and we all got a big kick out of it. The game ended at 11:00, and the last bus back to Aix left at 11:50, from across town. I don't think I've ever power walked so hard in my life, but we made it with about 2 minutes to spare!! When we got back to Aix, a couple of us went to a pub called WooHoo where they were playing the SuperBowl. It was packed with American students! You go downstairs into basically a cave, I squished into a corner, and made it to halftime until the thought of bed was too enticing! It was a long day, but a very exciting one!

Luckily today consists of going to the train station to reserve my ticket for February break and doing laundry, and nothing else! I'm looking forward to some time with my book, which at the moment is Harry Potter 3... in French!

For the February break, which we planned this week, 7 girls and I are going to Brussels and Bruges, and planning on seeing Belgium. I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions about where to go in the area. We're thinking of a daytrip to Antwerp or Waterloo, and definitely Luxenbourg, but I would love your thoughts!!

Love from France!
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment